Pages

Dec 23, 2010

Not abandoning this blog yet :D (also, Secondary Sensational Salad)


I hope everyone enjoyed their Wintersday vacation. I did not cook anything specifically for the holiday season, but before we left for the break my girlfriend and I whipped up a tasty salad coupled with some soup that was graciously delivered to us :D. We topped that off with a SUPER improvised microwave cake recipe which turned out to be delicious!

Even before we made the salad, my girlfriend whipped up some wonderful crackers with kiwi and Brie cheese. Very tasty to say the least.


After that she taught me how to make a good salad (yes, I do require instructions on how to make salad... everyone has to start somewhere). Preparing the lettuce wasn't too bad. After washing the leaves (about 6 total I think), you shake off the remaining surface water. You then can rip off any bad parts of the lettuce that you don't want to eat with your hands. After that you can just tear the leaves into pieces, not too small or too big, but the size that you would want to fit in your mouth. Then put it in the bowl as your base for the salad.

My girlfriend also taught me how to prepare the other vegetables for the salad. To make a nice cucumber for instance, after peeling, you can streak the sides of the cucumber with a fork for a nice design element.

Following this, she sliced open and scooped out an avocado onto the salad (cutting it like you would a mango seems to work very well). Then she peeled and diced a carrot and placed it on top of the salad.

So at this point it seems like my girlfriend did about everything :\ HOWEVER, i did manage to make the salad dressing :D. I mixed 1/6 a cup of vinegar, 1/8 a cup of soy sauce, 4 tbsp of water, 2 tbsp of sesame oil, and a thin slice of ginger finely minced. I then put these ingredients into a container and shook the dressing vigorously before pouring onto the salad.


And now for the rating system:
Time took to cook: 40 minutes (with the soup cooked as well)
Amount of help received: Buttload, I only basically made the dressing and learned from my gf how to prepare everything else.
Presentation (according to girlfriend): 3/5 (wasn't great...salad is salad)
Tastiness (according to girlfriend): 4/5 (very tasty)

I'll post again on the microwave cake once I get a hold of the recipe. I learned a lot this time and I think the next time I make a salad, I'll be able to safely do it on my own :D.

Thanks everyone!
-Stuart-

No comments:

Post a Comment